Tap Into Nature’s Renewing Energies
I’m always looking for ways to make my daily life more joyful and meaningful. One of my passions is living life as a spiritual experience, honoring everything as sacred, and helping others to do the same.
But oftentimes, I forget. The busy tasks of everyday life can wear me down. Bills, dishes, driving kids around, “what’s for dinner, Mom?”, the thousand and one tasks on my to-do list. There often isn’t enough time in the day to accomplish all the things I had planned.
I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.
One of the simplest and most profound ways I’ve found to reset and renew myself is getting outdoors, into the natural world.
As humans, we’ve evolved such that we spend a lot of time indoors, and much of it using electronic devices. While I don’t have a problem with that – after all, these devices make the process of writing and sharing those writings a whole lot easier – we do need a break. We are, after all, animals. We are part of the planet and the ecosystem where we live. We are spiritual beings residing in a physical body.
That body needs fresh air, sunshine, cleansing winds, a view of the water, plants and trees to share breath with, the renewing energies of nature. We need it like we need the other essentials – water to drink and air to breathe and food to eat. Being outdoors allows us to relax deeply and unite the energies of our body, mind, and spirit.
Try it right now – go outside. Take a deep breath. Look around. Listen to the sounds of nature. Even if you live in a big, busy city, chances are you can find a tree or park to commune with. Let yourself just be, and see what sensations and feelings wash over you.
Adding more outdoor time to your daily routine will refresh and recharge you, and help you feel more joyful throughout your day. Here are a few ideas for integrating nature time into your life easily and naturally.
- Take a morning walk. Observe what’s going on around you. Over time, watch things change as the seasons pass by.
- Have breakfast outdoors. Meditate as you sip your coffee or tea.
- When you’re on the phone, take your call outside and walk around as you talk.
- Put your bare feet on the ground and feel the energies of the earth flowing into your body.
- Hang out your laundry to dry on a clothesline. You’ll get more time outside, and the clothes will smell amazingly good.
- Play ball with your dog in the yard, or follow your cat as she meanders about the property. Watch the birds or chipmunks.
- On your lunch break at work, make a point to get outside. Even if you pack your own lunch, go find a bench where you can eat it, or take a brisk walk.
- When you’re doing yard work, like raking leaves or putting the garden to bed, be consciously aware of the energies of nature all around you. Remember to breathe deeply and relax into the work you’re doing.
- At the gas pump look around you – you’re outside in nature. Even if you’re surrounded by buildings, look up at the clouds, notice plants growing between the cracks, or watch birds flying by.
- Add outdoor gatherings, like music festivals, holiday parades, or charity runs, to your social calendar. Gather some friends and go apple picking or browse the farmer’s market.
- Before you go to bed each night, go out and see what’s happening in the sky. Observe the moon’s phase, try to spot some familiar constellations, or listen for owls.
- Keep your window open as you sleep. Snuggle under an extra layer of blankets and let the fresh air inspire your dreams.
Blessings of Mother Nature to you!