14 Things to Do This Summer
Summer is the time for embracing a slower pace. Make time for yourself to savor some of its delicious, lazy pleasures. You’ll release stress, enhance your creativity, and most importantly, have lots of fun! Here are some ideas to inspire you:
- Playing with kittens. What better way to spend an afternoon then laughing-out-loud at their rambunctious antics? Puppies will do in a pinch.
- Have a picnic lunch. Pack a sandwich and some fruit, a bottle of juice or iced tea, and hit the beach or a glen. Invite a friend along, or enjoy some quiet reflection alone.
- Take a swim. Dive into the pool, lake, river, or ocean. Enjoy the sensation of being buoyed up by the water. Float and relax.
- Catch a summer movie. Dive into a superhero adventure, an epic fantasy, or a particular time in history. Enjoy being swept away by the story. For extra summer flavor, see if there’s a drive-in double feature in your area.
- Lie in a hammock. Read, nap, or just swing while contemplating the deep blue of the sky peeking through the trees.
- Taste summer’s bounty. This is the time of year when vegetables abound. Make a meal-sized salad from fresh local ingredients. Enjoy the harvest from your garden or the farmer’s market.
- See an outdoor show. Many cities have outdoor concerts and festivals all summer long. Look in your area’s newspaper for concert listings and summer theater information.
- Nurture your body. Honor the relaxed vibe of summer by getting a massage or Reiki session or treating yourself to a facial and a pedicure.
- Take a road trip. Call a friend or two and take off for the day or the weekend. Go someplace new, or re-visit a favorite tourist spot you haven’t seen in a while. The journey is half the fun!
- Pick wildflowers. Go out for a walk and come back with a bouquet for your dinner table. Learn to make yourself a crown of daisies.
- Eat breakfast outside. Enjoy your morning coffee or tea on the porch or deck. Listen to the birds as they start their day. Greet the sun once in a while.
- Sit around a fire. Enjoy your backyard fire pit, or find a friend who’ll let you share theirs. Make s’mores, sing silly camp songs, and just meditate on the flames.
- Do some stargazing. Check out the night sky in all its splendor. Admire the moon if it’s up, or notice how much brighter the stars seem if the moon is hidden. Catch a glimpse of the Milky Way if you can.
- Hike or Bike or Step. Find the nearest park or trail and take a day-hike. Spin your wheels for a while and enjoy the breeze. Walking with a companion can be a fun excursion – try some place new.